Squadron Honor Roll
67th TFS Aircraft
67th Tactical Fighter Squadron
67th Fighter-Bomber Squadron, 18th Fighter-Bomber Wing
Korean Era, 1950 - 1953
A brief unofficial history compiled by D. E. ‘Bud’ Biteman, Lt.Col., USAF Ret
After the surrender of the Japanese, in Nov. ‘45 the 67th joined the 18th Fighter-Bomber Group and were based at Laoag, North Luzon, before returning to Palawan in Feb. ‘46, then to Florida Blanca and Clark Field, Luzon, in mid-’46 and early ‘47. Their P-38s were retained until 1946, when they were equipped briefly with the newest P-80A jets, which had arrived too late to see combat. The jets were returned to the US when the 18th Fighter Group was temporarily inactivated between March and October 1947. Upon re-activation as the 67th Fighter-Bomber Squadron at Clark Field, they were re-equipped first with P-47s, then P-51s, until new jets (F-80Cs) were again assigned to the 67th in mid-1949.
After the invasion of South Korea by North Koreans in June 1950, the 67th moved to Ashiya, Japan, reverted to F-51 Mustangs and on 2 August ‘50 commenced combat operations. They lost both their Squadron CO (Maj. Lou Sebille) and Operations Officer (Capt Bob Howells) to enemy ground fire within hours of each other on 5 Aug. ‘50 near H’amchang. Maj. Sebille was later awarded the Medal of Honor for his final mission. The 67th flew their F-51s in vigorous combat until early 1953, when they converted to F-86F Sabrejets, continuing combat actions until the end of the war, after which the 67th moved to Okinawa, and remains part of the 18th Tactical Fighter Wing.